Timeline of Snoqualmie Pass area events in history
1865— The first wagon train consisting of 6 wagons made it over the pass traveling east to west.
1905— First motorized traffic across Snoqualmie Pass.
1909— The Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railway opened over Snoqualmie Pass.
1912— Regular ferry service was established making the water route across Keechelus Lake part of the trip.
1915— The Snoqualmie Tunnel opened from Rockdale to Hyak
1928— The Seattle Ski Club, whose members were all first-generation Norwegians, was organized.
1929—The SSC's first ski-jumping tournament was held at Beaver Lake hill at Snoqualmie Pass.
Parks Department, under the direction of Ben Evans, had a small patch of
trees cleared at
1934— Sahalie Ski Club was formed (located near Alpental)
1934— Washington State Highway Department completed paving and highway 10 was dedicated. Originally opened as part of State Road-2 ("The Sunset Highway"), it was renamed US-10 during the 1930s as US and State highways were going through renumbering.
1936— The Chicago,
Milwaukee & St. Paul Railway begins clearing area at Hyak Wa. for a
new ski area at
Times and The Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railway opened the "Snoqualmie
Jim Parker and Chauncey Griggs formed Ski Lifts, Inc. and Webb Moffett
became their first employee.
1938— Lights installed at the Snoqualmie Ski Bowl (Hyak) for night skiing. A ski train left Seattle at 5:45pm to arrive at 7:45pm. It left the bowl at 10pm and would arrive home at midnight. On January 14 it was said to be the first midnight train ever operated.
citizens complained about the parks department trying to support a park
so far away (Municipal Hill)
1941— First ski jump competetions held at the Snoqualmie Ski Bowl. (Hyak)
1942—Torger Tokle set a new ski-jump record at the Snoqualmie Ski Bowl National Championships.
1942—After WWII began the Milwaukee Road shut down the ski area to put all attention on the war effort.
1942—Griggs and Parker sold Ski Lifts, Inc. to Rance Morris and Webb Moffett for $3,500.
1943— April 16th, the Sahalie Ski Club lodge burned to the ground.
1944— Mountaineers lodge on west side of Snoqulamie Pass burns to the ground.
1945— Lights for night skiing were installed at The Snoqualmie Summit ski area.
ends and the Milwaukee Road Railroad resume operations of the ski area
with many changes. First,
Ski bowl installed the first high-capacity ski lift on Snoqualmie Pass
named the Talley-Ho
1947—Milwaukee Ski Bowl hosted the Olympic Ski Jump Trials for the upcoming 1948 Olympics and it brought people from all around the world. (During those trials there was a new long jump record set)
1948 —Ray Tanner
installs the first chairlift on Snoqualmie Pass at a new ski area called
Ski Acres, 1 mile east of
1948— Mountaineers build lodge on land between Ski Acres and Summit of Snoqualmie ski areas. The lodge replaces the one lost by fire 4 years prior. 160 voulenteers help construct.
strikes during the 49/50 season as the Milwaukee Ski Bowl Lodge catches
fire on December 2, 1949
1950— The Milwaukee
Ski Bowl is closed. The railroad decides not to rebuild the lodge and gets
out of the ski resort
1953— First POMA lift installed in the USA at Snoqualmie Summit ski area. (surface lift)
at Snoqualmie installs the first double chairlift, Thunderbird at Snoqualmie
Pass and also builds a
1959—The Hyak Ski Corporation purchases land north of where the Milwaukee Ski Bowl operated and began operation.
Conifer Basketball Camp created by Chuck Randall, Earlie McKie and Ray
Thacker. The basketball
new ski resort "Alpental" opens at snoqualmie pass. Warren Miller produces
a film of the same name about
1971— A double chair lift at Hyak went out-of-control in reverse injuring 7 persons, one serious. (article)
1974— The Conifer Lodge burns to the ground. The Conifer Basketball Camp came to an end.
1980— Ski Lifts, Inc. purchased Ski Acres from Ray Tanner.
1983— Alpental was sold to Ski Lifts, Inc. from Westours, Inc. to give Ski Lifts, Inc. 3 of the 4 Snoqualmie ski areas.
1988— Ski Acres opens new terrain with the addition of the Silver Fir triple chairlift.
1992— Hyak ski resort sold out of bankruptcy court to Ski Lifts, Inc. so SLI now owned all 4 ski areas.
1997— Ski Lifts,
Inc. sold to Booth Creek Holdings. All 4 areas were renamed "The Summit
at Snoqualmie" with each
2002— Mountaineers shut down rope tows at lodge facility (rumor is due to insurance issues).
severe rains, a 40' section of the Alpental access bridge collapsed cutting
off direct access from Lot 1 as
2006— The Snoqualmie Pass Mountaineers lodge burns to the ground.
Creek sells the Snoqualmie Pass ski areas to CNL investment group. Booth
signs a long term
2008— The Silver Fir triple chair is removed and replaced with a new high-speed quad. The new lift is called The Silver Fir Express. Land on the north side of the lift called Silver Fir Properties is developed, roads added with utilities for vacation homes (aprox. 70 lots).
massive amounts of rain a landslide rumbles down the face of the Hyak ski
area taking with it one tower
(last updated 11/26/12)
T-Shirts, Postcards, Stickers